Choosing a Home Care Provider
When choosing a home care provider, it is important to consider your health and independence goals and which services will benefit you.
It may be helpful to discuss your goals and wishes with your family members and wider support system and to create a list of services and support you would like to get more information on. You can then start investigating potential aged care providers who can deliver these services.
When considering different aged care providers, some of the questions you may ask include:
- How long have you been operating/delivering services in aged care?
- What sets you apart from other providers?
- What qualifications do your staff have?
- Do you have experience with supporting people from different cultures and backgrounds?
- How much do your different services cost?
- What funding arrangements are available (e.g. private pay or government funded packages)?
- How will my out of pocket expenses be calculated?
- Do you assist with funding applications and the assessment process?
- If I am unhappy with my service, what can I do?
- Will I be locked into a contract?
- Do you have exit fees?
- Do you charge case management fees?
To learn more about Pearl Home Care click here.
What should you take with you when meeting your new provider?
If you haven’t yet begun the application process for home care funding, you should bring information on your income and relevant personal identification documents. If you have already been approved for a Home Care Package, you should bring your approval letter and support plan, as well as the outcome of your income assessment.
The income assessment helps to establish any co-contributions you may be requested to make and will give you a clearer understanding of your overall cost.
You will not be asked to complete an income assessment if you receive any of the following:
- Age Pension
- Service Pension
- Income Support Supplement
- Veterans’ Payment
Depending on your circumstances, there are a range of home care funding options available that give you access to affordable in-home care.
For more information on the types of Home Care Funding click here.
An in-home assessment and care plan estimate is completely FREE at Pearl Home Care. We encourage you to get in touch to schedule a FREE one-on-one session to discuss your unique needs with our professional home care givers or skilled private nurses.